The only thing I like better than tasting excellent red wines at a quaint little boutique winery on a Saturday afternoon with good friends is having them poured for me and explained to me by the adorable, passionate, young Argentinean winemaker himself, Anthony Doffo. (https://www.doffowines.com/) Forever diligent and alert for Monday Morning Stretch material, Anthony reminded me of something that I firmly believe but often forget: Everything is energy.
The fermentation of his wines is a chemical energy exchange. The aging of the wines in the barrels or bottles is an energy process. The way in which he markets and speaks of his wines is a personal energy exchange. The growth of his vines in the vineyard is all about energy renewal and conversion. He even spoke of how he plays classical music via outdoor speakers for the vines, noting that (interestingly enough) the vines closest to the speakers were the healthiest, largest, and most prolific producers… Because everything is energy and it’s all about the exchange.
If you struggle with time management, project management, fiscal management, weight management or any other kind of management in your life, I suggest the one that makes all of them easier is “energy management.”
Energy management is about how good we are at maximizing the high-frequency energy available to all of us, all the time. Instead of trying to figure out how to get the impossibly long to-do list done, focus on doing the things, thinking the thoughts, listening to the music, reading the books, participating in the activities, and spending your time with people who actually increase your energy.
In 2010 when I first met Tom, many people commented on how much more alive, energetic, and youthful I seemed, and most chalked it up to being newly in love… and that may have certainly played a role. But, when they asked about any secrets I might be willing to share, this was my list. These are the things that still help me maintain and maximize high-frequency energy and vitality every day in my life… Eat, Pray, Love. Let me explain:
1. Eat: Fill your frig, pantry, car, desk, and plate with healthy, beautiful, delicious food from the “power foods” list:
Celebrate your ability to enjoy a big glass of clean water upon rising, at every meal, and before and after exercising.
2. Pray: Meditate or pray for a few minutes upon rising and as you lay down to sleep at night. Be sure to count your many blessings and give thanks. Remind yourself that everything is working out just as it should … even if you can’t quite see it… and let it go. Remember that how you feel is your point of attraction so those that feel abundant tend to be “luckier” in life.
3. Love: Kiss and hug someone, looking them square in the eyes and being totally present when you do it. You’ve got to give love to get it. Simple as that.
Simple: Eat, Pray, Love. (Corny, I know…) Here’s the rest of the story:
4. Sleep: 8-9 hours of good sleep. Embrace that you’ll never get it all done… that’s not really the point anyway. The same to-do list will be there tomorrow. Let it go. Reset your counters. Rest and refill your bucket.
5. Exercise or be active for at least 20 minutes every day (usually an hour +). Take the stairs. Park at the far side of the parking lot. Try a new activity or sport.
6. Sunshine: Sit or walk in the sunshine for a few minutes. (Walk your dog. Work on your laptop in a sunny room or out by the pool. Roll the window down in the car.)
7. Avoid Toxic People: Limit your exposure to fearful, fretful, hateful people… and for the ones you can’t avoid: send them love, peace, forgiveness and gratitude that you are in different space. Surround yourself with loving, generous, passionate, smiling people.
8. Do What You Love: Constantly question your motivation for doing everything: is it because YOU want, love, or are drawn to do it or is it because you think someone else wants you to, it’s what’s expected or necessary, that’s the way it’s always been done, or you don’t have any other options (rarely true!) I use the “lightness” test: If it feels heavy to me emotionally or intuitively… I generally say “no.”
9. Filter Information: Fill your mind with books, articles, and information that inspire you, uplift you, soothe you, or just flat out make you belly-laugh! If it doesn’t, get rid of it. I haven’t watched the news in almost a year and haven’t missed a thing. I still hear what’s going on and feel lighter and happier than any other time in my life. I believe it was an addiction that has now been replaced with higher-frequency material which gives me so much more energy to manage! Again, use the test: Do you think others expect you to know what’s going on in the world or does knowing it actually inspire you, interest you, and make you feel more energetic? Lighter or heavier? Inspired or depressed? How you feel is your point of attraction… so guard it with all your might!
10. Sing: Listen to music and sing out loud. Research shows that people who whistle, hum, dance, or sing out loud tend to be happier and have more energy overall. Doesn’t matter if they do it well. It only matters that they do it regularly.